NARA Asks Citizen Curators to Cast Votes For First Document to Be Featured in New “Records of Rights” Exhibition
The National Archives invites the public to become “citizen curators” and help choose an original document for the opening of our new David M. Rubenstein Gallery “Records of Rights ” exhibition on November 8, 2013.
Vote online through October 14, 2013.
The “Records of Rights” permanent exhibition and the David M. Rubenstein Gallery was made possible in part by the Foundation for the National Archives, through the support of David M. Rubenstein.
The documents under consideration are:
- The 1868 joint resolution proposing the 14th Amendment to the states. The 14th amendment established the principle of “equal protection of the laws” and granted citizenship to “all persons born or naturalized in the United States.”
- The 1971 certification of the 26th Amendment. The amendment lowered the voting age from 21 to 18.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act, 1990, which expanded Federal civil rights laws to include disabled Americans and banned discrimination in employment, public services, public accommodations, transportation, and telecommunications.
- Executive Order 9981, 1948. Signed by President Harry S. Truman, this order desegregated the U.S. Armed Forces.
- The Immigration Reform Act, 1965. These amendments to a 1952 immigration law ended the country-based immigration quotas that had favored immigrants from western and northern Europe.
Read the Complete NARA Announcement
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.