One More Off the List: Miami-Dade Library Near Aventura Saved from Closure, Mayor Announces
Our coverage from South Florida continues.
From the Miami Herald:
Miami-Dade County has taken one more public library off the list of facilities slated for closure.
The California Club branch, 850 Ives Dairy Rd., will remain open, Mayor Carlos Gimenez said Thursday evening, bringing down the total number of libraries to be shuttered to 13.
“My administration has been doing everything — and I mean everything — we can” to save more libraries, he said.
Gimenez made the announcement at a town-hall style budget meeting held in a packed Palmetto Bay Commission chambers.
“Libraries are the future of our kids,” read one of many homemade signs waved by residents at the meeting.
Read the Complete Article
- Mayor Gimenez Gets Earful at Meeting with Residents (August 9)
- Group Works To Save Miami-Dade Public Libraries From Closures, Layoff (August 6)
- Two More Miami-Dade County Libraries Could Be Spared From Closure (August 2)
- Six of 22 Miami-Dade Libraries Could Be Saved From Chopping Block (July 30)
- Video: NBC Miami Airs Report on Proposed Miami-Dade County Public Library Closings (July 24, 2013)
- Miami-Dade Public Library Closure Plan Would Hit Poorer Areas Harder (July 17, 2013)
- Miami Dade Library To Close Nearly Half its Branches (via LJ)
- Miami-Dade County Releases List of 22 Public Libraries on Chopping Block, 251 Layoffs Also Possible (July 16, 2013)
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.