HathiTrust Posts 2012 Year in Review; Repository Contains 10.6 Million Volumes, 31% in Public Domain
- 2012 brought to a close the initial 5-year charter period that HathiTrust was granted by its founding institutions.
- A significant legal victory and affirmation of Fair Use in the case of Authors Guild v. HathiTrust
- Repository currently contains 10.6 million volumes, about 31% are in public domain.
- HathiTrust grew from 66 to 78 partner institutions in 2012.
- HathiTrust partners contributed 623,613 volumes to the repository in 2012. 566,044 of these are in the public domain. The University of Florida and Boston College were new contributors in 2012.
- HathiTrust completed the first phase of improvements to enhance the accessibility of HathiTrust Web applications. With a few minor exceptions that will be addressed in the second phase, HathiTrust interfaces are now compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, Level A.
- HathiTrust accepted and released a new policy on bibliographic corrections
- Introduction of advanced searching options, including support for complex Boolean searches.
- Significant work was undertaken to improve the relevancy ranking of search results in general, and to introduce a spelling suggestion feature for search queries.
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.