APIs: Take a Look at a Colorado Public Library Network OPAC Now With Integrated Records From OverDrive
A new post by Mike Lovett on OverDrive’s Digital Library Blog mentions two libraries systems in Colorado who recently integrated OverDrive records directly into their OPAC using OverDrive APIs.
From an OverDrive Blog Post:
In October, two separate Colorado library systems—Marmot Library Network and Rangeview Library District—began integrating OverDrive-supplied content into OPAC search results. When patrons search for titles from the library’s OPAC, the results page returns eBooks and audiobooks alongside print books and other formats.
Marmot is leveraging the APIs to make its OverDrive collection discoverable via its VuFind catalog.
Specifically, Marmot is using OverDrive APIs to:
1. Supplement information in MARC records to include the formats that are available for each title.
2. Display and index information about total copies in the collection, including copies in their OverDrive Advantage library collections.
3. Load metadata for titles for which the library does not have MARC records.
4. Display real-time availability for each title.
5. Enable patrons to read eBook samples directly from the VuFind catalog.
Take a Look at the Marmot Library Network OPAC (w/ integrated OverDrive Records)
See Also: OverDrive Currently Providing API Access to 60 Developers (October 17, 2012)
See Also: eBooks: OverDrive’s API Developer Portal Goes Live (August 2, 2012)
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.