Colorado: Referendum Approved! Denver Public Library to Increase Hours 40%
From KDVR (Denver):
Denver’s public libraries will increase service by about 40 percent next year after voters approved a referendum allowing to city to raise more money.
“We are extremely thankful to the Denver residents for voting for 2A which will allow us to better serve our community after years of budget cuts and reduced library hours,” said City Librarian Shirley Amore.
To accommodate for the longer hours, DPL plans to increase staff and add hours to current part-time staff, said Morris.
What you can expect at the Denver Public Library upon final approval of the 2013 budget:
- All branches will be open a minimum of 48 hours per week.
- All branches will have two evening hours (with the exception of Westwood Branch, which will be open Saturday plus the same weekday hours as the Westwood Community Center, where it is located).
- Central will be open 56 hours per week with Saturday morning hours restored.
- Weekend hours will be added at several branches.
- We will be increasing our staffing level including a combination of increased hours for current part-time staff and hiring for new positions. Job openings will be posted on our website once the 2013 budget is approved by City Council.
- The new hours will be phased in beginning in January 2013, as it will take some time to hire the needed staff. We estimate that all locations will be operating with their new hours 3-4 months after we can begin the hiring process.
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.