Reference: French Government Agency Makes Revamped 200,000 Item Food Nutrient Data Table Available Online (in English)
In France, the reference database for the nutritional composition of foods is managed by ANSES. With the addition of an extensive amount of new data, the resulting revamped CIQUAL table now provides the calorie count and the fat, carbohydrate, protein, vitamin and mineral content for 1440 foods, as well as detailed fatty acid profiles and a new search function.
The last version of the CIQUAL table was published in 2008. With the acquisition of an extensive amount of new data, the new revamped version of the CIQUAL provides the following:
- approximately 200 000 new source data items have been added, twice the amount as the former version of the table
- one hundred and forty new foods have also been added, including flours, cereals, cookies and cakes, biscuits, dairy specialities, oils, meats, fish, fruit juices and prepared foods;
- in all, the nutritional composition of 1440 foods is now available to web users;
- following updating of the French Population Reference Intakes (ANC) for fatty acids by the Agency in 2010, the 2012 CIQUAL table now also provides a detailed profile of the fatty acids in foods;
- a new search function enables users to sort foods by levels of a given component: for example, you can perform a search on the foods with the highest level of omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) or of vitamin B9 (folates), or those containing the least salt (sodium) or sugar.
The foods in the CIQUAL data base are “generic”. They are a reflection of all the foods of a given type (fresh apricots, cooked pasta or pasteurised whole milk, for example) consumed in France. For each food considered, the average composition is estimated by combining several brands of the product and by taking into account whenever possible the consumption levels of the French population.
Direct to Database
See Also: Raw Data Available via Data.gouv.fr
See Also: USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.