Roundup: U.S. Government Rolls Out a Number of "Big Data" Initiatives, Projects
Many of these projects and so many others will need data curators, archivists, and others to help organize the massive data sets.
A bunch of announcements and a discussion are taking place now (2:30pm). Live/Archive stream here.
Overview from the Office of Science and Technology Policy
- See Also: Big Data Fact Sheet (14 pages; PDF)
Includes info about big data projects from the Dept. of Homeland Security, Dept. of Veterans Affairs, Dept. of Health and Human Services, NARA, NASA, and others.
Department of Defense
- DARPA BAA (Broad Agency Announcement): XDATA (45 pages; PDF)
National Institutes of Health
National Science Foundation
- NSF Solicitation: Core Techniques and Technologies for Advancing Big Data Science & Engineering (BIGDATA)
- A PDF version of the document (17 pages) is also available.
Department of Energy
- Secretary Chu Announces New Institute to Help Scientists Improve Massive Data Set Research on DOE Supercomputers
U.S. Geological Survey
- Berkeley Lab-led Institute to Help Solve Data-intensive Science Challenges
(via Lawrence Berkeley National Lab)
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com.