Internet Archive Thanks Friends of SF Public Library For Donating 130,000 Books
From a Blog Post By Brewster Kahle:
130,000 books, records, and videos were donated and then cataloged, de-duplicated, and readied for scanning and long term preservation in 2 days. Thank you to the Friends of SFPL for our largest public donation ever. With this, we believe we are ready to handle any size donation. Please think of us as a good home for your library or collection or extras.
Fast Facts About a Recent IA Event:
- 20 volunteers (thank you!)
- 20 staff members
- 130,000 books, records, videos
- we cataloged 40,000 of them over the 2 days, and of those 20,000 were ones we did not have. 90,000 to go.
- we will preserve the originals for scanning and for the long term in our Physical Archive
- the duplicates will go to other worthy causes.
- and it was a blast.
Learn More and Take a Look at Cool Time Lapse Video
Inside the new Internet Archive Physical Archive in Richmond, CA.
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com.