Here are a couple of new resources from the CBLDF that will likely be of interest to many infoDOCKET readers. These materials are also being distributed at ALA in Las Vegas.
Kudos to this important organization on the publication of the handbook and discussion guides.
From the CBLDF Blog:
Today, Comic Book Legal Defense Fund is proud to release its first-ever Banned Books Week Handbook! Boasting a cover by Jeff Smith, whose Bone series is one of America’s most frequently challenged books, the CBLDF Banned Books Week Handbook is a free resource that gives you the scoop about what comics are banned, how to report and fight censorship, and how to make a celebration of Banned Books Week in your community!
Bundles of the printed handbook are also available from CBLDF.org, and in the July issue of Diamond Previews (JUL141050).
2. Also Being Released Today: First Installment of a New Series of CBLDF Discussion Guides
[The guides] provide guided questions and activities centered around challenged graphic novels. CBLDF.org also offers a broad range of resources about banned and challenged comics, as well as tools that libraries, educators, retailers, and individuals can use to develop their own Banned Books Week celebrations.
From the Discussion Guides Homepage:
CBLDF Discussion Guides can be used by librarians, educators, retailers, or anyone who wants to lead a conversation about a graphic novel. In each guide, you will find the following:
- Synopsis: A brief summary of the major plot points in the graphic novel
- Themes: The overarching ideas that the creator(s) express in the graphic novel
- Reasons Challenged: The reasons why people have tried to censor the book
- Suggested Age Range: The age group for which the book is most likely suitable
- Discussion Questions: Tiered questions organized by cognitive complexity, from basic recall to higher-order thinking
- Activities: Projects and activities to take the conversation about graphic novels beyond the library or classroom and to encourage greater engagement with comics
Direct to the New Guides Released Today: