The numbers were shared today by CIRA (Canadian Internet Registration Authority), the organization that manages the .CA domain registry. These and other statistics are found in the just released CIRA Factbook 2014.
From a Summary:
- Half of Canadians who expressed a preference also said they prefer .CA over .COM for business use, and for online activities that require the disclosure of personal information such as shopping or banking.
- 74 per cent of Canadians reported that they search online, and compare goods and services, before committing to a purchase.
- Only 62 per cent of Canadians in the lowest income quartile have Internet access, compared with 95 per cent of Canadians in the highest income quartile.
- The average Canadian visited 3,731 web pages per month last year, the highest in the world. We also ranked a close second behind the U.S. for the average number of hours spent online per user.
- Canadians continue to be heavy consumers of online video, ranking second in the world behind the U.K., at 24.8 hours per month.
- Almost 24 million Canadians, or 69 per cent of us, visited at least one social networking site last year.
- The percentage of smartphone users who use their device to watch video or television increased by 21 percentage points last year, to 37 per cent.
Direct to Summary
Direct to Complete Factbook