From the Berkshire Eagle:
Largely unseen by the college community, about 200 tradespeople are feverishly toiling to finish work on Williams College’s new, $86 million library.
It was designed to encompass, and repurpose, the original library, which was built in 1922 and turned to other uses in 1975 when Sawyer Library opened.
The new structure, designed by the Bohlin Cywinski Jackson architecture firm, required the demolition of two additions that were made to the original Stetson in 1956 and 1962, and then the construction of a new, 131,704 square-foot addition to the back of the original 44,572 square-foot building.
The new building incorporates technology and space-saving book stacks that capitalize on wireless capacity and book storage space.
There are video conferencing capabilities, as well as a number of new classrooms and faculty offices. There will be seating for 850 people in a library that serves a student enrollment of about 2,000.
Direct to New Sawyer Library Web Site