UPDATE: We’ve learned that OD added approx. 6,000 new partners during 2013. They now report approx. 28,000 partners.
The trend in digital reading continues to grow rapidly. Readers borrowed more than 102 million digital titles across the OverDrive network in 2013, up 44% over 2012. For comparison, it took 10 years to reach the first 100 million digital checkouts from 2003-2012, and the next 100 million was surpassed within one year.
Other major milestones in 2013 include:
- A 46% increase over 2012 in eBook checkouts (79 million)
- A 37% increase over 2012 in audiobook checkouts (22.9 million)
- A 147% increase over 2012 in mobile checkouts (49.5 million)
- More than 4.3 billion page views on OverDrive-powered library and school websites
- Mobile platforms now account for nearly 1/2 of all checkouts and 2/3 of all traffic
- Six of OverDrive’s standalone libraries facilitated more than one million digital checkouts from their individual collections
- Library and school websites had 193 million visits to their OverDrive digital catalog, up 107% from 2012
- Discoverability increased to 1.8 billion in 2013, up from over 1 billion cover image impressions in 2012, giving readers countless options for “what to read next”
Technology and support for enhanced eBooks will roll out in 2014, including features such as synched audio and text, fixed layouts, interactivity and multimedia.
OverDrive increased its catalog to 1.8 million digital titles from more than 5,000 publishers.