In a Nutshell
- All NARA Facilities Will Close (including Presidential Libraries)
NARA-operated portions of Presidential Libraries will close, but facilities controlled by a private Library Foundation may remain open.
- Federal Record Centers Will Remain Open
- Federal Register Will Continue to Be Published
- NARA.gov Site Will Remain Online But Will Not Be Updated
- All NARA Social Media Will Cease (Except for Federal Record Centers)
- All Activities Canceled
In NARA’s Own Words
If the Federal Government is shut down, all National Archives facilities will be closed and all activities will be canceled, with the following exceptions:
What About Social Media and the NARA Web Site?
If the Federal Government is shut down, we will not be able to blog, post to Facebook, or tweet during this closure. (This does not apply to the Federal Records Centers.)
While the Archives.gov website will remain available to you, please note:
- Information on the website might not be up to date.
- Transactions submitted via the website might not be processed until the shutdown ends.
- This includes Military Service Record Requests.
- We might not be able to respond to inquiries until the shutdown ends.