The OCLC Global Council Meeting took place earlier this week in The Hague, Netherlands.
The meeting was the first time the OCLC Global Council met outside of the U.S. or Canada. 42 delegates and four alternates from 16 countries and territories participated.
From An OCLC Summary:
- Global Council delegates elected Berndt Dugall, Direktor/Librarian at Universität Frankfurt’s Universitätsbibliothek Johann Senckenberg (Frankfurt am Main, Germany), to the OCLC Board of Trustees. Mr. Dugall has served the OCLC membership since 2005 in various Council roles, most recently as Global Council Vice President (2010–2011), then as President (2011–2012). His term on the Board will begin in November, replacing Kathleen Imhoff, Library Consultant. In November, 10 of the 16 Trustees serving on the Board will be librarians.
- Barbara Preece, Director, Loyola/Notre Dame Library (Baltimore, Maryland, USA), was elected Vice President/President-Elect of OCLC Global Council. Her one-year term as Vice President will begin 1 July 2013, and her one-year term as President will begin 1 July 2014.
- Anne Prestamo, Claud D. Kniffin Professor of Library Service and Education and Associate Dean for Collection and Technology Services, Oklahoma State University (Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA), will begin her term as Global Council President 1 July 2013.
Credits and Incentives Report
Global Council accepted a report and recommendations by the Global Advisory Group on Credits and Incentives.
Following 18 months of analysis and discussion with members, the report recommends that the cooperative gradually phase out the Financial Credits Program through June 2016. The report recognizes the important role that the Financial Credits Program has played in the Cooperative. The report calls for the continued promotion and celebration of member contribution and sharing, and the need to ensure that the phase-out of the program minimizes any financial impact to members currently participating in the Financial Credits Program. While the current program is being phased out, the Advisory Group report said, “…the Cooperative should support development of new mechanisms that celebrate and encourage member cooperation and sharing in support of our common purpose of furthering access to the world’s information.”
The recommendation goes to the OCLC Board of Trustees and OCLC management for consideration.
Election Results–Regional Councils
OCLC Americas Regional Council (ARC)
ARC Executive Committee
- Vice Chair/Chair-Elect—Wilbur Stolt, Director of Libraries, University of North Dakota, Chester Fritz Library, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA. As Vice Chair/Chair-Elect, Mr. Stolt will become the Chair of the Executive Committee beginning 1 July 2014
OCLC Global Council Delegates from the Americas Region (Term: 1 July 2013 – 30 June 2016)
- Bonnie J. Allen, Dean of Libraries, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US
- Tricia Bengel, Emerging Technologies Administrator, Nashville Public Library, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
- Dalia L. Corkrum, Library Director, Whitman College, Penrose Library, Walla Walla, Washington, US
- Christopher Cronin, Director of Technical Services, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Carol Pitts Diedrichs, Director of University Libraries and Professor, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, US
- Gwendolyn Ebbett, Dean, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Chuck Gibson, Director/CEO, Worthington Libraries, Worthington, Ohio, USA
- Cheryl King, Special Collections Librarian, The University of the West Indies, Bridgetown, Barbados
- Mary Konkel, Head of Technical Services, College of DuPage Library, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA
- Elmelinda Lara, Senior Librarian/Head, Technical Services, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
- Madeleine Lefebvre, Chief Librarian, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Melinda Webster Loof, Library Teacher, Lexington Public Schools/Bowman Elementary, Lexington, Massachusetts, US
- Suzanne Payette, Director, Brossard Public Library, Brossard, Québec, Canad
- Ana María Quiroz, Coordinator of the Digital Committee, Biblioteca Nacional de Chile, Santiago, Región Metropolitana, Chile
- Debbie Schachter, Director, Learning Resources, Douglas College, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
OCLC Asia Pacific Regional Council (APRC)
APRC Executive Committee Members (Term: 1 July 2013 – 30 June 2016)
- Craig Anderson, University Librarian, RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Jinkang Deng, Director, Tsinghua University Library, Beijing, China
OCLC EMEA Regional Council (EMEARC)
EMEARC Executive Committee Members and
Global Council Delegates (Term: 1 July 2013 – 30 June 2016)
- Germany—Rupert Schaab, SUB Göttingen – State and University Library of Göttingen
- Netherlands—Anja Smit, Utrecht University
- United Kingdom—Fiona Parsons, University of Wolverhampton
- Public Libraries—Jacques Malschaert, Bibliotheekservice Fryslan, Netherlands
- Other Countries—Poul Erlandsen, The Royal Library / CULIS, Copenhagen, Denmark