The 2012 National Medals for Museum and Library Service Ceremony took place yesterday in the Indian Treaty Room of the White House. IMLS Director Susan Hildreth presented the awards and Cecilia Munoz, Director of the White House Domestic Policy Council, was the he guest of honor.
The National Medal is the highest honor conferred on museums and libraries for service to the community.
Here are two videos.
First, a brief video honoring the five libraries and five museums who received the medal.
Second, yesterday’s ceremony recorded at The White House.
Learn More About 2012 Medal Recipients
- Bootheel Youth Museum, Malden, Mo.
- Contra Costa County Library, Pleasant Hill, Calif.
- Cumberland County Public Library, Fayetteville, N.C.
- Garfield Park Conservatory, Chicago, Ill.
- Long Island Children’s Museum, Garden City, N.Y.
- Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami, Fla.
- Naturita Community Library, Naturita, Colo. (LJ‘s Best Small Library of the Year 2011)
- Pacific Science Center, Seattle, Wash.
- Park View High School Library Media Center, Sterling, Va.
- Shaler North Hills Library, Glenshaw, Pa.