As part of its work on the 2011-2012 Key Initiatives, the IFLA Governing Board appointed a working group to draft a background paper on digital lending. At its April meeting the IFLA Governing Board endorsed this paper, and we are now pleased to present a version for download.
The paper attempts to:
- Provide an overview of the issues relating to eBooks in libraries;
- Summarise the current positions of publishers in both the scholarly publishing and trade publishing sectors;
- Summarise the differences in the way that academic/research libraries and public libraries address the issue of digital collections;
- Address the legal context for eLending and library principles that must be upheld in any suitable models;
- Provide a detailed legal analysis of e-Lending
The e-Lending environment is changing rapidly at this point in time, and the paper will be reassessed in the coming months in light of any significant developments. Revisions of the paper may take place in light of any assessment.
Direct to IFLA E-Lending Background (35 pages; PDF)