Two new reports with results from surveys of librarians are now available. Both are loaded with statistics and charts.
Key Findings (via OCLC):
- Most academic and community college library staff:
- Consider delivering licensed e-collections and e-books to be their top priority and current initiative
- Believe their current library location structure will be the same in five years
- Rely mostly on listservs and e-mail to stay current—a few use social media
- Community college library staff are less likely than other academic library and public library staff to expect that a national digital library will exist in the next five years
- Community college libraries are distinctively putting more focus on outreach and library instruction and their back-end office technology compared to other academic libraries.As we saw in the public libraries report*, it’s worth noting that electronic discussion lists and email are what most professionals use to stay current. We find that both interesting and somewhat surprising.
*OCLC released a report looking at public libraries on March 21st.