Many of these projects and so many others will need data curators, archivists, and others to help organize the massive data sets.
A bunch of announcements and a discussion are taking place now (2:30pm). Live/Archive stream here.
Overview from the Office of Science and Technology Policy
- See Also: Big Data Fact Sheet (14 pages; PDF)
Includes info about big data projects from the Dept. of Homeland Security, Dept. of Veterans Affairs, Dept. of Health and Human Services, NARA, NASA, and others.
Department of Defense
- DARPA BAA (Broad Agency Announcement): XDATA (45 pages; PDF)
National Institutes of Health
National Science Foundation
- NSF Solicitation: Core Techniques and Technologies for Advancing Big Data Science & Engineering (BIGDATA)
- A PDF version of the document (17 pages) is also available.
Department of Energy
- Secretary Chu Announces New Institute to Help Scientists Improve Massive Data Set Research on DOE Supercomputers
U.S. Geological Survey
- Berkeley Lab-led Institute to Help Solve Data-intensive Science Challenges
(via Lawrence Berkeley National Lab)